Tips for Making a Shih Tzu Puppy Topknot
A Shih Tzu puppy topknot might be just the answer to all that facial hair obstructing the view of those beautiful Tzu eyes. Even if you can’t decide whether to have your puppy grow out his hair to floor length or clip into a puppy do, a small puppy topknot will help keep stray hairs out of his face and keep him looking neat and clean.
Many people will choose to keep their Shih Tzu in a shorter cut and still maintain a small topknot. If you are considering showing, you will need to grow out the coat so don’t go near the face with a pair of scissors!!
We will assume that you have been working with your puppy and training him to enjoy the grooming experience. It’s very hard to put a topknot in properly if your little one is fidgeting everywhere. If you don’t think you can put a pony tail on a moving object, stop and work on some grooming training first.
This will be a tiny topknot because the puppy just doesn’t have enough hair yet.
Tools & Supplies for Making a Shih Tzu Puppy Topknot
- Small elastic bands
- Rat-tail comb
- Fine tooth comb
- Small puppy brush
- Bows, optional
Procedure: Shih Tzu Puppy Topknot
Shih Tzu Puppy Top Knot
- Start by dividing or parting the hair just above the top back of the nose. A rat-tail comb works well but you can also use a fine toothed comb if you’re afraid the puppy might move. Make the part just between the eyes.
- Next gather up the hair in a V shape above the nose between the eyes. The wider part of the V is closest to the nose.
- Place a tiny elastic band. You can purchase elastic bands that don’t pull or rip hair at any beauty store.
- Comb the whiskers down and away from the eyes. To train them to lie properly, a dab of Petroleum Jelly can be placed on them. A soft puppy brush can be used to help train these hairs to lay flatter on the face.
- If desired, add a small bow to finish it off.
As the hair grows, you will be able to take in more hair to make larger topknots. To do this, make a longer part at the top back of his nose and again, gather the hair into an inverted V shape. Once the puppy has reached maturing, the part for his top knot will be made from the other edges of each eye.
Cute as a button!
Advertising on this Site
Miracle Shih Tzu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com This site receives a small commission from all affiliate links and third-party advertising.
Like and Comment
Was this information helpful?
Did you like it? Do you have a comment to share?
Just leave a comment below, and click like or share to let others know about this site.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input.
Have a Question that Needs an Answer?
I am not always able to respond directly to your posts below
so if you have a question specifically for me, please use my contact form. Thanks.